Monday, October 9, 2017

The Tetons: Day One

Emma Ngati
October 9, 2017

Today was not the most grateful start for our group. Although we started the day with a heaping plateful of warm pancakes, bacon, and eggs we ended up being two hours behind schedule. It didn’t help that when we arrived at the trail head Sean and I didn’t know where we were on the maps. We headed south into the Tetons and shortly thereafter realized we had taken the wrong route. We decided to cut across the creek to get to out campsite which ended up being a really interesting endeavor. Unfortunately four of us ended up with soaking wet feet and it was only day one. But it couldn’t get any worse right? WRONG… Once set up at camp we found out that two out of three of our stoves were not working. How convenient.  Hanging up bear bags was quite the challenge especially for me since I cannot throw anything to save my life. I better start working on it since a bear bag could very well save my life in the mountains. Tomorrow lies a fresh start and hopefully I will learn from my mistakes today and not make the same ones tomorrow I missed falling asleep to the sound of running water and tonight and for six more nights I will have the sound of the backcountry singing me to sleep. I can only hope everyone’s toes stay warm tonight, tomorrow we are headed straight into the mountains and I cannot wait to find out what they have to teach me. As Gary and I’m sure many others have said, “Never underestimate the healing power of nature”




No comments:

Post a Comment