Sunday, October 29, 2017

Climbing Day


By: Austin Orr
October 29, 2017

Today is the day we finally got climb. We woke up, had breakfast, and divided the gear to carry to our climb site. Little did I know how heavy my pile I choose actually was. All of us were sad to hear to hear we had to leave Tracy behind as she wasn't feeling to well. We loaded up and drove out to a small lot and to my surprise it was only a few minutes from our campsite. As we started our hike I was excited with adrenaline, ready to take on the climb. As we walked up the hillside I was very unsettled walking on ledges smaller than my foot is wide.
After reaching our destination Jeff taught us enough climbing knowledge to be considered dangerous and advised us if we want to learn more to seek other training facilities. We learned how to set up anchors in the rocks and set up 4 different climbing sites. I took one look at the climbs and thought "how do you climb this?" Kara and I started on skyline and Kara manger to climb it with ease. I tied myself in after and couldn't get myself up. I was getting frustrated and soon Kara took another shot at it to show me her path. After that I finally managed to climb up and felt greater success underneath the trembling fear roaring through me. Kara and I moved to the next hardest one where she thought she was always falling. After coming down and we went to get some water and came back to track that was essentially a crack in the rock all the way up. I kept slipping barely getting myself off the ground and left with some battle scars. After Kara attempt I went and got my bag to patch up Sean's battle scars he got on his pinky using his finger strength to try and climb the overhang. After returning Carol was up on the wall attempting the same climb. I tried helping her and had some pretty good laughs from the fun. As we packed up my day was made when Sean found a common garter snake. This was the first snake ECOEE had seen. All in all the day was exciting and I can learn a great deal from the experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment