Friday, October 13, 2017

Out of the Cold


Sean Dowling
10/13/17

After wiggling my way out of my sleeping bag I couldn’t help but notice something strange, something different from the other mornings I have woken to in the Tetons… I wasn’t shivering! It was both strange and fantastic since a kind hiker warned us that a snowstorm was heading for us either today or the night before. Unfortunately, my excitement didn’t last too long because after climbing to the top of our large rock to cook breakfast I could see out in the distance about the mountains that he was right… Winter is coming. We quickly ate our hash browns and oatmeal, packed our bags, and retraced our steps out of the Tetons. Though our time was short in these mountains we did get to see two fantastic views, a moose taking a leisurely stroll, and plenty of evidence of a grizzly, who may or may not have visited our tents a couple of nights. When we made it out, it was time for some overdue cleaning of our kitchenware, trailer, and a mouse hunt that felt more like a wild goose chase (For some of us the thought of finding a mouse was more frightening than a grizzly bear.) When all our chores were done my fellow LOW, future Low, and I got a wonderful idea from two little birdies. What was the best way to get a shower, do laundry, wash our clothes, and get Wi-Fi to work on our assignments… A hotel! But on an Outdoor Education Expedition!? Can’t be, couldn’t be, shouldn’t be… Why not? So after one last meal from our rations that’s exactly what we did. We got four rooms for our group at the nicest Super 8 we had ever seen, or maybe that just what almost two months of camping does to our perspectives. All I know is that this seems like a dream. Comfy beds, carpeted floors, T.V.!!! Wasn’t I just waking up in the Tetons? If this is a dream and do wake up back there I just might cry a little.

“There is virtue in work and there is virtue in play. Use both and overlook neither.” – Alan Cohen

Hike Log:
            Start: 10:19
            Break: 10:34
            Break Ends: 10: 39
            Check-In: 10:54
            Break: 11:06
            Break Ends: 11:13
            Check-In: 11:28

            Hike Ends: 11:39 

No comments:

Post a Comment