Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Day To Remember


Tracy Ellis
10/4/17
4am came way too quickly but for the first time ever, I was okay with it. I have been waiting so long to see the famous Lamar Valley and not even the frost covered tent and early morning would bring me down. We hopped in the van and drove two hours to the breath taking valley where we strained our eyes and held our cameras at attention in hopes that we would see something cool. But the second that sun came up over the valley and shone on the snow covered mountain tops, I had seen all that I needed to see. I knew that this special place would be one that I remember for the rest of my life. We stopped for breakfast and got another incredible view of Yellowstone that included a turquoise river far below our feet and a faraway picture of where we once were. While we were here, Emily taught us about the book she read, “Where the Wild Things Were” in the best classroom that I believe I have ever been in. Mammoth Hot Springs was next on the agenda. The self-guided tour brought us right up next to the white step-like spring and also gave us a very unique view of the houses and shops they had below and tucked between the mountains. Eventually we found our way to a food joint with greasy kids meals and ice cream as well as the usual overpriced merchandise. After our bellies were full, Ashley and I made the brave decision to endure the kid infested visitors center so that we could take advantage of the precious free wifi. We then began heading back to camp, only after stopping to see a petrified tree, although the mood got slightly shifted when we ran into a Grapple storm. (Jeff explained that this was simply a mixture of hail and snow that occurs on the mountains) at this point I was realty not looking forward to the cold camp and the cold dinner prep. But then. Magic happened. We got the option of a pizza place. We sat in a warm building while having good conversation and eating delicious pizza and ending our night with lots of laughter.

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes, the whole world around you

Because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely

places. Those who do no t believe in magic, will never find it.”

-Roald Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment