Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tough Lessons


Austin Orr
9/19/17
Today was an amazing day. As we packed our gear and got ready to head onward to rock cut state park we soon realized the importance of sweeps. We almost left two stakes behind which would have put us down to four stakes total to use on the tarp. After the lesson/lecture from Jeff about how we shouldn’t ever lose a stake I feel like that will never happen again but who am I kidding we could barely remember our lefts from our rights while in Canada.
As we made our way south most of us worked on homework or at least tried to. I worked on my video for my interp for about 30mins before I got to stressed from the mouse clicking the wrong button as the car bounced down the highway. I then made sure progressed was saved and slept most of the remaining travel time.
When we stopped for lunch some folks decided to get McDonalds and soon regretted it. The initial taste seemed to be enjoyed but soon people were either craving more or they decided it wasn’t worth it.
Soon after we got to camp we got set up and dove straight into Emma’s book. After discussing environmental issues and what we have done to be actively aware Chris talked to us about black bears. Tracy and Boz both shared personal encounters with black bears and we learned to never store your stove with the food. After talking more about black bears Tracy indulged us in environmental ethics which made me think a lot about my personal beliefs with the environment.
As I look back over the last moth I am in shock at what we have done. We have traveled the Missinabi River, made two transitions, lost weight, and grew individually and as a group. We have learned so much and have barely scratched the surface.

“a creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve not by the desire to beat others” – Ayn Rand


No comments:

Post a Comment