Sunday, September 3, 2017

Rapids School


Emma Ngati
9-3-17
                 Today began with my tent mates and me waking up to a leaky tent in a puddle of water at 2 am. Despite our rather early and wet morning, there was nothing two cups of coffee couldn’t fix, and with that we were off to our next stop, Quittagene Rapids, where to our dismay there was no Quittage arena. Today was the day we were receiving our first lessons on rapids from Jeff, but little did I know just how experiential this lesson would be. After a chilly walk waist- deep through the rapids, learning about eddies, pillows, haystacks and other obstacles we would be facing, Jeff put us through yet another test. Each of us had to float down the rapids with our hands and paddles as our only defense against the heavy current and hidden rocks below.  Everyone, although a bit nervous, seemed excited to go down nature’s best water slide.  I on the other hand was not excited whatsoever. Seeing the turbulent river filled me with fear but I somehow found the courage to let go and go with the flow. Although I am sure I would have been pushed or forced down in some way eventually. I bobbed and weaved in a not so grateful way down the turbulent river, desperately trying to keep my head above water and feet up in front of me to avoid as many rocks as possible, with few successful attempts. After receiving a couple bumps and bruises I survived the rapids… for now. Tomorrow lies the real test as we face our first set of rapids in the canoes. I can only hope we make it out safely and stronger than we were before.


No comments:

Post a Comment