Friday, September 8, 2017

Too Long of a Day


Austin Orr
9/8/17


I awoke this morning dreading the long day ahead of us. It was not going to be a fun day. Too my surprise as we got to our first of 5 possible portages I was like the energizer bunny and took off. I was feeling great and excited as I knew the quicker I got through the sooner I could relax. After meeting back at the starting point Ashley and I took round 2 with the canoe. Through the cold and pain we pushed through and got the canoe over. Half way back we realized we should have take it slower as we were feeling the burn. As the day progressed I grew more and more tired as so did the rest of us. Not to close to the last portage Ashley and I could feel not our 2nd wind but our 4th wind of the day start to go. We pushed through as we knew a great place to go #2 was at the next campsite. I knew I was done at that point. My cook group decided to make pizza for the 3rd time this week. I shouldn’t have let my cooking skills shine. As I am writing this I look back over the day we experienced and though it was rough, brutal, and a very very very long day compared to what we are use to I am glad we did it. It just goes to show that this group when pushed can do anything. We may not be perfect and still learning to be the best we can be but when it matters most this group shines through.

No comments:

Post a Comment