Tuesday, September 5, 2017

September 5th


Chris Friday                                                                                                               

This morning began a little on the rough side for me due to our group tarp soaking several of ,my bags and gear items during takedown. I tried not to let that phase me however. No matter how bad my morning was, it couldn’t possibly compare to the amount of bad luck Bob and Julia would soon face. We got to our first rapids of the day, Sun Rapids. I watched with Emily as one by one we each attempted our first real challenge at then rapids. We watched as each one of us made it successfully, until Bob and Julia tried to paddle with a canoe full of water. It didn’t really work out for them all that well though. Emily and I made it through pretty much unscathed. I think this had something to do with how light we both are. We kind of just glided over all the haystacks, while everyone else tried to plow through them all. We survivors all then tried to gather the floating gear of Bob and Julia. Those few twigs among us tried to help get the canoe out of the water, but were quickly sent away by the grey dude with the beard. Once that was all taken care of, we pressed on with our day of rapids. Shortly thereafter, Emily and I experienced our first challenge of the day in getting stuck on some rocks. We prevailed of course and became cocky enough to try the rapids backwards, which we also handled with flying colors, that is until we got stuck again shortly after a little ways down the river, facing forwards this time though. We totally should have just stayed backwards. Barrell Rapids was scouted successfully and cautiously. We decided to portage our gear for this one after seeing several possible hazards that lied within. The portage path was an interesting one that was covered in many interesting and possibly magical mushrooms. This excited those of us who enjoy fungi, me included. When we arrived at Peterbell, our campsite for the night, we were met with much mud. Jeff was right, now that we hit mud, I really miss the sand. This campsite was large and contained some pretty cool rocks, that I will talk about after paddling tomorrow. I’m done now so goodnight folks. Good morning for when I read this. I’m just trying to reach a page and a half at this point. Close enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment