Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Simple Things


Julia Fetty
9/6/17
            I woke up this morning at 7:30, satisfied from a nice sleep in, warm in my cozy sleeping bag. As I was waking up, I couldn’t help remembering how bright and beautiful the full moon was the night before. Just the thought that I am in Canada and I am able to gaze at the moon, it’s the little things that keep me happy and brighten my days.
We went about our day, starting with the sun and then quickly this changed to a slight drizzle. This was the first time we had ever had any rain while paddling. For me, it was refreshing and woke me up even more.
Our route was fairly simple until the end rapid before camp, which we had all been waiting for. We ended up portaging instead due to the weather. I know that there will be more rapids in the future to get pumped for!
After setting up camp, Chris, Emily and Emma taught their Outdoor Education lessons for us. I am personally fascinated by the topics they taught, which included Geology, Edible and Medicinal Plants, and Astronomy. Learning about these topics in the wilderness is another reason why I am so glad I am here on ECOEE. When we are able to learn about the environment we surround ourselves in and absorb everything around us, it makes it even more meaningful.
I guess this journal entry summarizes that I still can’t believe that I am in Canada, learning and being able to appreciate what our surroundings can make us feel or teach us. Or in Bob and Kara’s case, how Emily’s lesson helped them with their inflammation after making a super tasty tea from some edible plants.

Once again, I am so happy I am able to experience this trip, and I cannot wait for what this journey will bring in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment