Thursday, September 7, 2017

Wavy Rapids Camp


Sean Dowling
9/07/17

After another long day of being a LOW and hiking back and forth down a rocky portage that separated us from the rest of our beloved campers I actually got a good night’s sleep despite being pinned between a rock and a hard place (Tracy). We woke a little earlier to take the hike back to our group and ended up actually meeting right on schedule, making it completely worth the 30 minutes of lost sleep. We had a nice, short, leisurely paddle that involved a rapid, a portage, and a brief confusion of direction. Our new campsite would be at the end of Wavy Rapids, though I believe Rocky Rapids would have been a better name.
After portaging our gear and canoes a few of us attempted to put up our group tarp, a skill I hope to one day master… or at least complete in under an hour. Ashley and I then taught the rest of our group how to tie ropes together with fancy knots, another skill that I hope to perform more quickly. Our not so short knot lesson was put on hold by the arrival of another group of foreigners, like ourselves, who were hoping to camp at the end of Wavy Rapids as well. Jeff convinced them to paddle back up stream to another campsite in exchange for a future campsite that we had planned to go to. Unfortunately, that would mean we would have to travel even longer tomorrow, which also means paddling further than we have gone so far, as well as, portaging further than we have portaged so far. But this doesn’t bother me too much as I came on ECOEE to challenge myself. So I assay challenge accepted!!! With full bellies and plenty of water I know we can do this. Besides, when we’re done we’ll get to camp for two nights without traveling and two new poor souls will get to be LOWs for our last week on the river.

We ended our night with a debate of whether or not we had seen (faintly) the Northern Lights. I think we did and that’s all that really matters to me. Hopefully I will be able to fall asleep tonight at some point when Tracy is finally done toying with my patients. Someone needs to confiscate her coffee…  

No comments:

Post a Comment