Wednesday, September 27, 2017

To the Badlands: A Day of Sights


Emma Ngati
9/27/2017
                  I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect to see getting in the vans this morning. I started the day with relatively low spirits as the stresses of not completing all my homework over the summer bore a weight on my shoulders. Traveling through South Dakota however, changed my attitude. The puffy clouds and rolling hills filled me with peace. Visiting the Atka Lakota Museum and Cultural Center was really interesting to me. I appreciate the Native American way of life and their connection with the natural world. I think it is important for everyone to learn the true accounts of the Native Americans from their perspective, not just the whitewashed history we are taught in school. The next stop on our journey to the Badlands was the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center where I got a really cool Missouri River sticker. We stood on the ground where Merewether Lewis and William Clark themselves camped on their two year journey round trip to the Pacific Ocean.  Also at the interpretive center was a very large majestic statue of a Native American woman holding a quilt that glistened in the sun and shined brightly at night. Dignity of Earth and Sky is here to remind us of the sacred place we stand on and that each of us is sacred in our own way, however you would like to interpret that. As if I thought the views couldn’t get better we entered into the Badlands. The rocky land shaped millions of years ago by geological forces could only be described as extra-terrestrial. Kara said she felt like she was on planet Tatoine. After a really fun group hike with some breathtaking views, we set up our sleeping bags under the stars.  A great way to end a great day and begin our time here in the Badlands.

“In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks” John Muir


No comments:

Post a Comment