Thursday, September 21, 2017

Lorado Taft Campus


Julia Fetty
9/21/17

I woke up this morning and I couldn’t believe that I was waking up in a tent for the last time before heading back to Hornfield Campus. After having some delicious yogurt parfait, we headed to Lorado Taft Campus, where Boz was enthused to show us her previous stomping grounds as an outdoor educator. We had a very informative meeting with the staff and I learned that Lorado has an incredible amount of activities and programs to offer. Having opportunities visit outdoor education programs and being able to talk with programmers has been so helpful for me figuring out where I will fit in the future! Boz then gave a tour gave us a tour of the campus, which included the famous “Blackhawk Statue”, which is the largest concrete statue in the United States. Later during the day, we shadowed outdoor education classes which included pioneering and water ecology. My favorite part about the pioneering lesson was how excited the kids got while making their own candles. Being around kids and their enthusiasm makes me feel like a kid again. I truly never want this feeling to go away. I’ve realized overtime that I could definitely see myself working with kids. Sometimes I even wish I could go back and experience outdoor education as a kid again. After the pioneering lesson, I observed the water ecology lesson. I remember when I went to an outdoor education camp in 7th grade and water ecology stood out for me the most. Seeing kids get excited just as I did was an amazing feeling. We ended the day eating cold burritos on the boardwalk of Caste Rock River. I know that I won’t forget that moment on the boardwalk. I love everyone here so very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment