Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Its A Beautiful Day

Emily Maze
9/12/17

I laid in my tent not wanting to get up but once I got moving, I felt like it was going to be a great day. Surprisingly, most of our group was up and moving when I started packing. I portaged my gear across the gnarly rooty path and eventually everyone was loaded to go with time to spare. While paddling, Tracy and I talked about how beautiful the fall is with Maples turning red and Birch turning yellow from lost chlorophyll. We also talked about reincarnation and ghosts. Along the way, Kara sang Christmas songs which made Tracy and me sing Trans Siberian Orchestra songs. Whenever Tracy saw water striders mating, she smacked them with her paddle because that isn’t allowed on ECOEE. The poor water striders killed before their purpose. Tracy and I were navigator boat so we got to be the guinea pigs going through swifts and getting beached like whales. We came up with a metaphor calling the river life and the rocks our conflicts where we try to avoid them, but get caught anyways. At one of our breaks, I climbed a muddy hill to go to the bathroom and then when I was done, I mud slid all the way down into the water where it cleaned my muddy pants off. We arrived at Z-Drag rapids and learned how to line our canoes because the haystacks and drop off was pretty big. We each grabbed our canoe’s painters and walked along the edge of the rocky shore and sometimes in the water to guide our canoes down the rapids. Austin was ready to get back in his canoe, but slipped in the water and under his canoe instead. The rest of the canoe trip was fairly calm with a few shallow rocky swifts. Early afternoon, we arrived unsure if we were at our campsite, but we were at the right campsite. Jeff taught us about adversity and expedition behavior which might come up in the wild west and other cultural differences in Canada and Baja.

No comments:

Post a Comment