Saturday, September 9, 2017

A "Break" Day

Emily Maze
9/9/17

I woke up to a chilly morning and at a breakfast of champions (a twix bar) before Tracy, Sean, and my LOW meeting with Jeff and Ashley. Our biggest problem was communication. After our meeting ended, I chose to wash my hair and clothes instead of going back to bed. I dipped my hair in the chilly water and scrubbed my hairy armpits. I made pasta and then carrot cake with Julia and happily scarfed down my third of the cake. While filtering my water, I saw a group of adults portaging Thunder Falls that we portaged yesterday. I hear there is an Australian woman there that has a magical accent that almost wooed Jeff the Grey. Kara, Julia, and I, the new LOW’s watched the group run the rapids after our campsite, but apparently the rapids were so shallow to the right that some walked it. I wish they could’ve stopped and swapped stories with us, but oh well back to work. We mapped out all the possible campsites, read which ones were big enough for us, and chose distances to go each day. We came back to Jeff lots of times so we deserved the flicks we got in the forehead. Five times is the charm! Jeff taught the group how to build a fire and maintain it which the group got really excited for. While sitting around the fire, people old ghost stories of a bridge in Macomb and Simpkins at Western. Well, I don’t think I will go in Simpkins at night. It’s bad enough hearing music playing in Mr. Ericson’s room at midnight in Browne. To top off the day, Ashley D. found a “Christmas tree” (a teeny tiny cute dead pine tree with lots of pine cones) to watch burn and pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment