Wednesday, August 16, 2017

First Portage




Ashley Demers
August 16, 2017


Waking up to the sounds of my tent group up and getting ready I realized I missed my alarm. Jumping out of my sleeping bag I started getting myself together to what was going to be a long day. I unzip the tent and out in front of us is a thick coat of fog. All I can think is that I’m in the navigator boat today, and how am I going to see. My morning wasn’t going the best, especially with having hardly anytime to eat breakfast. We all get our canoes packed and were off for our fifteen-mile journey to our first portage. I was nervous and excited when I finally got to sit in the stern for the first time since Spring Lake. Thankfully my partner was encouraging me and telling me I’ll do great. While being in the stern I tried doing the “J” stroke and that was not working out. Finally hours later we make it to our destination, and it looked so pretty. We all docked our boats and emptied them. Then Jeff and Ashley showed us how to pick up our canoes put them on our shoulders and walk up through the portage. Let me just say they made it look so easy. The first trip with the barrel was rough but I did it, the second trip of the river bags was way lighter. But by that third trip of now carrying the canoe I was tired. Seeing that blue at the end of the trail was the best motivation. After we were finished I was worn out! We started to travel a little farther to the camp, and to get to camp we had to go up current which was way more difficult then I thought. We made it to camp and finally we could eat and sleep. I ended my night looking up at the gorgeous stars.

            “Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man. But the man who win’s the race is the man who think’s he can”. ~Author Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment