Thursday, August 24, 2017

Chillin' at Baywatch Beach


Tracy Ellis
Aug. 24, 2017
            Last night I went to bed sweating in my sleeping bag and woke up shivering due to the overnight temperatures getting down into the higher 30’s. But as I opened up the tent and looked out on to the rising sun over our cold Baywatch Beach, I did not see a cloud in the sky for miles. This meant that MAYBE FINALLY we could have a day without rain. As it turned out, this positive prediction was correct.
            Today was spent learning valuable leadership lessons, and building sand castles… oh… I mean topographic maps in the sand. But for some of us, sand castles is a little more accurate (Sean). This was done to help us get a better understanding of how the elevation is shown on the maps we are using here in Canada. As we were doing this, I couldn’t help but think about how lucky we are to have all of our lessons here in Canada while all the other RPTA students are probably off wandering in Currens or lost in Horrabin.

            The constant sun all day was just what I needed to be motivated for a long day on the river tomorrow. And I believe that others are probably feeling the same, because we all know Kara’s cooking isn’t going to motivate anyone. I am over excited to see how I will do on this 13 or more mile journey that ECOEE 2017 will be partaking on tomorrow. Not to mention I am ready to power through our first portage and let my physical strength get its turn out here. The group is displaying their excitement and nerves for what a portage will bring. Although with the strength and positive vibes that this group gives off, I know we will make it through our first portage with only minor bumps and bruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment