Saturday, August 26, 2017

Little Stoney Portage


Austin Orr
8/26/17

Waking up this morning to my 5:30 alarm I realized that I get to sleep in today so I shut off my alarm and fell back asleep until 7am. On ECOEE this was definitely sleeping in. getting up and out of my tent I was looking forward to making pancakes and ending my week as a LOW. I soon realized this wasn’t the case. I had forgotten that I am a two-week LOW.
As the day progressed we traded out the two old LOWs for two new LOWs as well as traded tent partners. I was looking forward to cooking with new people and the smell of new concoctions. We tried a few new dishes making mac & Cheese with sweet peas, fried chicken, and even made an Oreo cake. All of these hit home and made me realize we aren’t as far away from home as most might think.
As the day passed I started finishing up plans with my new LOWs to plan out as much as we could for the next week. After taking it to Jeff and Ashley for advice we were constantly reminded that we have plenty of resources to make this trip successful we just need to believe in ourselves and each other.
I also forgot to mention that I have discovered no matter how much I love fire these stoves are not toys but tools. My stove lighting skills need much improvement, hopefully I don’t burn Canada down in the process.

“Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.” – Norman Vincent Peale

No comments:

Post a Comment