Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Border Bound


By: Tracy Ellis
November 1, 217
I do not even think that I can begin to describe the emotions I felt waking up at pyramid point, but I am going to give it a shot anyway. First, I opened up my eyes and was instantly unhappy because my nose was severely plugged, and I did indeed have snot everywhere. Second, I was in awe at the beautiful California scenery that we missed while coming in late at night. Third, excited to be driving through Los Angeles, especially knowing that the final game of the World Series would be happening there that very same day. Fourth, anxious to know that in just a few short hours we will be crossing the border into Mexico where we will be starting the final chapter of this amazing journey. And that is where my fifth and final emotion of the morning hit me like a bag of bricks. I felt thankful. I was thankful that all of these people came in to my life by choice (even if they don’t think so). I felt thankful for Jeff and Boz for bringing me to see and learn in places of the world that I can only hope I’ll visit again. And I felt thankful that we still have more time left on this trip.

            After running just a tad behind schedule, our newly reinstated LOW team pushed us into the van and we took off south through LA, along the coast, through San Diego, and finally to the border. With passports in hand, we purchased our visas, got the van checked, and happily moved forward. We had the beautiful pacific ocean to our right the whole time as we made our way towards our destination of the night; Ensenada. Once we arrived, I was almost instantly captivated by the busy lifestyle that I was seeing. Everyone was outside walking to their destinations and often waving and looking happy to socialize. I couldn’t help but feel that maybe socializing is something I am good at, and because of this, I am going to be very happy here. We then met our new group member/leader, Francisco, and together our new and improved group went out for dinner. I learned two things while at this dinner. 1. I can, and will, eat all Hispanic food placed in front of me with little to no self-control. 2. Emily will not. This is due to her delicate taste buds that do not do well with spicy foods. Which is totally fine, because that means more for me.

            After a long day of traveling we took a windy and bumpy road up to Francisco’s ranch where we retired for the night. Ashley and I found comfort on a bed, and I slept very soundly. Despite my nose still being plugged. And although we ate three meals, I only got the chance to say one quote. And this makes me feel very cheated. Cheated of the chance to bless your ears and eyes with another Harry Potter quote. So to make up for it, I will end this journal entry with one instead.

“It is our choices that show what we really are, far more than our abilities”

-Dumbledore

No comments:

Post a Comment