Saturday, November 4, 2017

Santa Teresa


By: Emily Maze
November 4, 2017
I woke up forgetting that I was under Francisco’s truck for protection from the light rain last night. French toast was the lovely breakfast we had before our hike to Santa Teresa. We hiked to Ramon, his two friends, and the mules and burros. While packing our food to go on the burros, we bought cowhide knife holsters made the same way as ancient ones. Jeff picked up our packs and deemed them too heavy, so most of us unpacked and left unnecessary stuff in the van. Then, we started our hike to Santa Teresa.

            We hiked about three hours on a narrow rocky dirt path before arriving. Along the hike, we unfortunately found out Chris, Emma, and Boz felt pretty sick. Hopefully they’ll sleep it off and wake up better. Jeff gave us some more riddles and Ashley solved her first one. The riddle from two days ago is in the eye of the “bee holder”.

            Tracy discussed her misadventure scenario on novice students kayaking seven miles across a wavy sea while the instructor pontooned too far ahead and lost sight of the students. I taught how to tie a double bowline and Ricardo joined in. He tied it on his first try and said they call it a neck knot for burros. Kara taught how to tie a bowline on a bight. Ricardo demonstrated the box braid with four pieces of grass and Tracy caught on. He also created a Chinese finger trap out of grass and proceeded to have all of us put our fingers in it.

            While waiting for our three pots of mac ’n’ cheese for dinner, I clogged my second toilet in Baja California. I tried at least five times putting water in the tank and flushing while the three guides watched me come in and out of the bathroom to fill the bucket. They had to radio a woman to come and fix it because there wasn’t a plunger there.

            Austin and I decided to give the group an early night to fight sicknesses. Right now, I am laying on my thermarest and looking at how the walls of the canyon glow from the unseen moon. I can’t wait for the cave paintings!

No comments:

Post a Comment